BookScan For Graphic Novels 2008 – New Books Only
Over at Comic Book Resources,
Brian Hibbs has done his annual analysis on BookScan’s sales figures for graphic novels.
First thing you have to say about BookScan is the standard disclaimer that we don’t really know what percentage of retail sales it represents. Barnes & Nobel, Borders and Amazon: Yes. Wal-Mart, book clubs, many independent bookstores and libraries: No. Conventional wisdom is that it captures around 75% of outlets, but if a book gets picked up by a lot of bookstores or a big box, high volume place like Wal-Mart, it could be way off. Your mileage may vary by title, but this is a decent gauge of what sells in chain bookstores and online.
One of the interesting things about the full list is the amount of old titles at the top of the list. Watchmen and Dark Knight are old enough to drink in bars. Batman has a lot of old backlist. Perisopolis isn’t a new book, and so on and so forth. if the date column was accurate, I’ve filtered the list for titles released in 2008 and deleted anything I recognized as new printing of an old book, and here’s your chain book store top 50 NEW graphic novels of 2008.
rank / copies sold / title / Publisher
- 103,848 NARUTO V28 VIZ MEDIA
- 76,442 NARUTO V29 VIZ MEDIA
- 64,481 NARUTO V30 VIZ MEDIA
- 55,637 NARUTO V31 VIZ MEDIA
- 49,154 FRUITS BASKET V 19 TOKYOPOP
- 46,406 BONE GHOST CIRCLES GRAPHIX
- 43,513 FRUITS BASKET V 20 TOKYOPOP
- 41,396 POKEMON V1 VIZ MEDIA
- 37,419 VAMPIRE KNIGHT V4 VIZ MEDIA
- 35,881 NARUTO V32 VIZ MEDIA
- 35,783 BONE TREAS HUNTERS GRAPHIX
- 35,617 BLEACH V22 VIZ MEDIA
- 35,310 DEATH NOTE 13 HT READ VIZ MEDIA
- 34,919 DEATH NOTE ANOTHER NOTE VIZ MEDIA
- 33,201 POKEMON RISE OF DARKRAI VIZ MEDIA
- 31,301 RISE OF SCOURGE WARRIORS MANGATOKYOPOP
- 30,803 KINGDOM HEARTS II V 2 TOKYOPOP
- 30,644 FRUITS BASKET V 21 TOKYOPOP
- 29,572 NARUTO THE OFF FANBOOK VIZ MEDIA
- 28,337 VAMPIRE KNIGHT V5 VIZ MEDIA
- 27,724 BLEACH V23 VIZ MEDIA
- 27,664 JOKER DC COMICS
- 25,588 IN ODD WE TRUST DEL REY BOOKS
- 24,576 BLEACH V24 VIZ MEDIA
- 21,695 COMP POKEMON PKT GDE V2 VIZ MEDIA
- 21,448 ROSARIO+VAMPIRE V1 VIZ MEDIA
- 20,972 INTO THE WOODS WARRIORS TIGERSTOKYOPOP
- 20,775 FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST V16 VIZ MEDIA
- 20,542 ABSOLUTE BOYFRIEND V5 VIZ MEDIA
- 20,196 NARUTO V33 VIZ MEDIA
- 19,778 COMP POKEMON PKT GDE V1 VIZ MEDIA
- 18,918 DRESDEN FILES WELCOME TO THE DEL REY BOOKS
- 18,735 PEOPLES HIST OF AMER EMPIRE METROPOLITAN BOOKS
- 18,367 NEGIMA V17 MAGISTER NEGI MAGI DEL REY BOOKS
- 18,252 BUFFY TVS SEASON 8 V2 NO DARK HORSE COMICS
- 17,107 POKEMON V2 VIZ MEDIA
- 17,050 LAURELL K HAMILTONS ANITA BLA MARVEL COMICS
- 16,894 STAR WARS THE FORCE UNLEASHED DARK HORSE COMICS
- 16,591 ROSARIO+VAMPIRE V2 VIZ MEDIA
- 16,259 NEGIMA V18 MAGISTER NEGI MA DEL REY BOOKS
- 16,248 ABSOLUTE BOYFRIEND V6 VIZ MEDIA
- 16,172 HACK G U V 1 TOKYOPOP
- 15,096 MARVEL CHRONICLE DK PUBLISHING (DORLING KINDERS
- 14,988 CHIBI VAMPIRE V 7 TOKYOPOP
- 14,843 LEGEND OF ZELDA V1 VIZ MEDIA
- 14,835 TSUBASA V16 RESERVOIR CHRONICLDEL REY BOOKS
- 14,507 DC COMICS ENCY REV DK PUBLISHING (DORLING KINDERS
- 14,312 GENTLEMENS ALLIANCE V5 VIZ MEDIA
- 13,741 DC VAULT A MUSEUM-IN-A-BOOK W RUNNING PRESS BOOK PUBLISHERS
- 13,686 NEGIMA V19 MAGISTER NEGI MAGI DEL REY BOOKS
How’s that stack up by publisher?
Viz – 26 titles
TokyoPop – 8 titles
Del Rey Books – 6 titles
Dark Horse Comics – 2 titles
DK Publishing – 2 titles
Graphix (Scholastic) – 2 titles
DC Comics – 1 title
Marvel Comics – 1title
Metropolitan Books – 1 title
Running Press Book Publishers – 1 title
The #50 title released in 2008 was #138 in overall sales.
Now, to be fair, Marvel’s Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born was released in late ’07 and would have been ranked at #19.
With the exception of DC’s “Joker” orignial graphic novel, new books about DC and Marvel’s respective superhero universes are selling better than the actual comics, or at least their current ones. Five titles are adaptions of prose books (6 if you want to count the Dark Tower book). One video game adaptation. Two non-anime TV/Film adaptations. Two colorized editions of the ever-green Bone (I’m counting these because they’re new as color comics).
For new in 2008 titles, the best-selling Vertigo book would be the final volume of Y- The Last Man at #58 with 13,213 copies. The highest selling Marvel Universe title is Marvel Zombies 2 at #62 with 12,906 copies. If you don’t count that as Marvel Universe, the next best selling Marvel book is Marvel Adventures Iron Man at #65 with 12, 581 copies. If you don’t count that as Marvel Universe, then we finally have an event book with World War Hulk at #70 with 11,911 copies.
Manga is still winning the war for the chain book stores. DC still is able to flex their muscles a little on original graphic novels (those Joker sales occurred in 2 months). But collected editions of the current monthly DC and Marvel super hero universe titles aren’t even sniffing the top of this market.